Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Happy Sweet Sketch Wednesday! 
This is our 113th week at SSW and we are excited to have you visiting Arlana’s sketch challenge site.  Many of you are long time followers and to some this may be your first visit.   Welcome and we hope you will continue to return and join in on the fun we have here at SSW.
This is Judi posting from University Place, Washington.  I get the privilege of sharing with you today some of the sites of my arena.  University Place received its name in the 1800's because the University of Puget Sound, a private liberal arts college, wanted to build its school in University Place.  The land they purchased was eventually sold back to the city and the school was then built in North Tacoma just 10 minutes away.   So that is why we don't have a university in University Place.   Many people get our area mixed up with the University District in Seattle which is by the University of Washington.  

University Place has spectcular views of the Puget Sound.  Nearly every morning I enjoy a 3.5 mile walk around the Chambers Bay Golf Course.  This is what I get to enjoy on my morning hike.  See the trees on the right...that is where I really get the best part of my work out...seven switch backs uphill but with some downhill reprieve and then back up again.  You can see the other half of the course in the second photo.  The first photo shows the lush green in March-June.  The second photo is what the course looks like now that we are finally getting some warm sunshine.  This is a Scottish Links course so it isn't suppose to look like Pebble Beach.  Chamber Bay Golf Course is rated the most difficult course in the State of Washington and will be the site of the 2015 US Open Championship. 


Aside from the gorgeous views of the Puget Sound,
my favorite thing about the Northwest is the moist fresh air!

 
This property is so massive. You are still only seeing about half of the course
and then there is the driving range and more even land that is being developed on the far left.

As I am walking along the Sound through the golf course and just before I start my hike up the switch backs I am able to see the Narrows Bridge. 
 This photo was taken when the second bridge was under construction.

Mt Rainier is our family's favorite mountain.   It is the tallest mountain in Washington with an elevation of 14,411 feet.   If you want to learn more about Mt Rainier click here.  In the photo below you can see the lenticular or cap clouds that frequently form over the peak.   Lenticular clouds form as moist air is lifted high enough, then cools and condenses into clouds.  Often times there will be just one cap over the mountain but this day it looked like a group of flying saucers!


Our sons have summited Mt Rainier about six times each and still
counting.  If you have an extra 15 minutes, view a YouTube of one of my sons with his friend.  If you are like me, you will never summit
Mt Rainier but here is your chance to see what it is like.

For my husband and I, we just love the day hikes
 and there are hundreds on this mountain. 
Sunrise is my husband's favorite. 
We have hiked to First and Second Burroughs
but plan to make it to all three Burroughs this fall.

A marmot on our hike at Sunrise on Mt Rainier

This is the waterfront along Point Defiance
 looking out at Commencement Bay. 
You can see Mt Rainier blending in with the clouds.

Downtown Tacoma has a 500 foot pedestrian bridge that connects the Tacoma Museum District, linking the Museum of Glass to the Washington State History Museum and the Tacoma Art Museum
.
Looking through the Glass Ceiling on the Chihuly Bridge of Glass


Well, I don't want to bore you but I hope you enjoyed seeing a small part of my world. 

Arlana has created a wonderful sketch for you to play with this week!

And our very talented sponsor this week is
Be sure to look around Lori's site.  You will adore her images!

 Lori's fabulous prize to our Grand Prize Winner is a
$10 Gift Certificate at By LORi Designs.
So grab the sketch and your supplies and start creating! 


But before you begin:
You will love all the inspiration from our SSW DT!




 




 

 



 


In case you are wondering where my card is,
you may have missed my announcement last week!
You can check it out on my site.

Congratulations to the
Grand Prize Winner
from last week's Sketch #112:  

the winner is: 

Please contact Arlana at sweetberrydesigns@hotmail.com to claim your prize! Be sure to grab your Grand Prize Banner along the sidebar to proudly display on your blog!

The Top 3 from last week are:

#1: PEGGY R (#24)

#2: COLIEN (#2)

#3:  SHERRYANN (#1)

Be sure to grab your Top Three Banner on the sidebar! Congratulations to all of you too!
~
To play along this week, it's simple:
1. Create a card using the sketch of the week. You may use any stamp or element you have to create your card, however, if you have any By LORi Designs stamps, we'd love to see what you do with them.

2. If posting to an on-line gallery, please use Sweet Sketch #113.


3. Add a link on your blog to Sweet Sketch Wednesday.


4. Post your card along with the link.


5. Sign in to Inlinkz and add a direct link back to your site.

6. Be sure to leave a comment here!
YOU MUST DO THIS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE GRAND PRIZE.



Thank you so much for visiting, and we can't wait to see your creations!!




Photobucket

30 comments:

  1. Judi, what a fabulous post...I have wanted to come to your part of the world for a long time and hope to some day. We saw Mt. Rainier from the air when flying to Vancouver BC a few years back and would love to see it close up. Love all of the photos, what a beautiful place to walk and the ceiling of glass, gorgeous. Congrats to all of our winners, so happy for you, Great job everyone that entered last week, we had some beautiful entries. Ladies, I love what you have all done with Lori's images and I had so much fun creating with mine. Have a wonderful week.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Judi, your picture sure make me want to come back up and visit. I would actually be more interested just spending time with you. It is a lovely place to visit. I really enjoyed my last trip there. Thanks so much for the fabulous post!!
    Congrats to all the winners this past week. Your cards were super cute. We love the inspiration we receive from all of you. Your cards are always gorgeous. Thanks to By LORI Designs for sponsoring us this week. Your images are soo cute and so fun to work with, Lori. Arlana, thanks for the fun sketch. I loved working with this one. I can't wait to see what our players come up with. Happy Creating!!!
    Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! What a fantastic place to live, reading these each week it makes me long for a long trip away. You are all so lucky. Anne-Marie x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU!!!! for picking my card as a top 3. I am honored!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun pictures Judi. Make me want to visit too. But then its always fun to go visit Judi. thanks so much Lori for the adorable images you creat and for being our sponsor. Thanks Judi for Posting you are always such a great help to make the sponsors happen. to the design team adorably sweet card. Have a sweet week everone. Cant wait to see your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judi, what a beautiful place you live in!!

    Thanks for another fab sketch Arlana, and you girls ROCKED it again!!!!!

    Deanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pics. Great sketch this week as are the DT cards. I have rotated the skecth
    Beryl x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello ladies! What a gorgeous sketch this week Arlana and fab DT cards. Also a fab post from Judi, great pictures! I hope you're all keeping well. Thank you for your lovely comments each week. Wedgie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow ~ great pictures chickie! lovin that glass ceiling...that must be spectacular IRL! what gorgeous scenery pics, too! thanks for sharing

    and thanks again dt for the great inspiration this week and for a FABULOUS sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the fabulous inspiration ladies! I love the sketch, and love the pictures of where I grew up! I am a Washington native myself, and am now an army wife. I do miss seeing Mt Rainier everyday ... and the water. (sigh)
    Thanks again ladies! have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what a lovely place to live. I'd love to go walking around that golf course. Thanks for a lovely sketch I really enjoyed using it. Debs xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cards are beautiful!!! I just added my project and I LOVE the sketch. I will probably use it again, lol!!!
    Hugs
    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a great sketch to work with,
    Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't ask me why, but this is the first time I've entered your challenge. A fabby sketch that I really enjoyed using. Thanks!

    Sheena
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fantastic photos! The cards are a great inspiration from the team and this was a fun sketch. My first time playing along also, but I just discovered the site when I was searching for a sketch. I'll be following the challenges from now on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful Sketch and great inspiration
    Thanks so much Julie P

    ReplyDelete
  17. loved working with this sketch. Your Dt cards this week are brill. Fallen in love with Lori design stamps. You have all done such different things with them and such a range of colours that it is really inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Arlana and the rest of the team! I hope you're all doing well. The line up is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What great pics of where you live! And fabulous DT creations! Thanks for another great sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a gorgeous post! We lived in WA for almost 2 years, the greenery there is amazing. :) Wonderful job by the DT! I linked up to support BLD and SSW, I always love the sketches here!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another great sketch Arlana, and the DT teams cards are just amazing. University Place looks amazing. Don't know if there's a problem but I've noticed that the piccie of my card hasn't shown only blue froggie face??

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for a great sketch!! You helped me complete my card!

    ReplyDelete
  23. great sketch that I had pleasure to work.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loved the sketch and the DT cards are wonderful. Thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous cards this week gals--as always! I have added my card to the challenge--thanks for another wonderful sketch!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fabulous DT creations.. and great pics! I love this weeks sketch too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful sketch and equally wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What beautiful photographs, and what a fun sketch!

    ReplyDelete